Tuesday, September 7, 2010

judged by questions

Am I quite different from you? I think not. Abraham Lincoln once said, "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better" and I advocate that mentality. I don't like the conclusion of "I dislike or I hate" because there is such a now-and-forever vibe that it sends. A closed mind is unable to understand points of view quite different from his own... and here's the catch22: if you do something yourself in full knowledge that someone does it differently, you assume that their way is lesser than yours (which is not always a bad thing). However, I like when people try things new and they are willing to ask questions rather than make opposing statements laced with rejection.

I like when someone will listen to me speak rot just to lend ears to my voice... and I love when people try to figure out the reason why I believe the things I do rather than telling me I am wrong. Subjective truth is not absolute truth and many things are debatable; I get it--just don't be so ready to jump down someone's throat, because clearly if you were really listening, you wouldn't object so quickly. Just a thought for the day, something I've tried to put into practice to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment